Dry or frizzy hair can be a bit of a challenge, says Darcie, but don’t despair. You can tame the frizz and say goodbye to dry hair by following a few simple steps.
What causes dry hair?
One of the most common causes of dry hair is overuse of heated styling tools explains Darcie.
Other reasons include:
- The scalp not producing enough natural oils.
- Relaxers, perms and colouring or bleaching products used too often or incorrectly.
- Too much exposure to sunny or windy weather.
- Washing hair too often.
- Using harsh shampoos and conditioners.
The result is dry, unmanageable hair that looks dull and unhealthy.
Darcies’ do’s and don’ts to treat dry hair.
Here’s how to get back the shine and bounce.
“Firstly, book an appointment on 01592-201212 to have your hair cut to fortify the ends (or restyled if you fancy a change). This will get rid of any split ends that are making your dry hair problem worse.”
- Try to avoid overuse of heated styling tools, especially flat irons and curling irons.
- Blow-dry your hair less often, and when you do, always use a heat protection product.
- Protect your hair when out and about by wearing a hat – especially in the sun or spritz it with a spray that contains UV protection.
- Avoid chlorine and seawater.
- Reduce the frequency of washing as this removes the hair’s protective oils.
- Use weekly nourishing masks and leave-in treatments to help lock in moisture.
Fighting the frizz
As if dryness and dullness aren’t enough to cope with, the ‘frizz’ is often not far behind as frizzy hair is craving moisture, says Darcie. If you don’t give frizzy hair the hydration it needs with moisturising products and the proper care, it will take moisture from the humidity in the air.
Both straight and curly hair can become frizzy. Heat and high humidity will often cause problems for those prone to frizziness.
Darcie adds, “We have some really effective treatments and products to protect your hair against the effects of humidity and also calm the frizz.”
She also recommends these steps to help combat frizzy hair:
- Book regular maintenance cuts, as split ends will make your hair look frizzier.
- Apply intense overnight treatments.
- Ask your stylist to recommend the right moisturising shampoo and conditioner for you.
- Ensure hair is 100% dry when blow-drying as the slightest trace of moisture can cause frizz.
Switch up products to combat dryness and frizziness
You may have been using the same products for years says Darcie but now could be a good time to make some changes. We have some brilliant products to help treat dry and frizzy hair, including rich shampoos and conditioners, shine sprays, masks, heat protection, hair oils and leave-in conditioners.
“We love to help and can talk you through our ranges and recommend products that will work best for your hair type. It’s particularly important to get this right if your hair is chemically treated or has been permed or coloured.
You can also opt for an in-salon gloss treatment to really amp up the shine.
PLUS If you want to transform your hair from frizzy and curly to smoother and shiny (not skinny straight), then we have a team of 3 smoothing specialist who can give you a more permanent solution with our Keratin Express Smoothing service.
Book a haircare consultation.
Not sure how to cope with dry or frizzy hair? To find out which products and treatments will best suit you and your lifestyle, book a consultation on 01592-201212.